Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Congratulations to the winners of my poetry contest!

 In my Board-appointed capacity of Detroit Public Schools General Superintendent (interim), I co-sponsored a DPS high school poetry contest with the Detroit Native SUN monthly community newspaper and the Detroit Team for Justice.  I had the prize-winners on my radio show on WCHB NewsTalk1200 on Sunday, February 3, at 4:30 in the afternoon, and these photos were taken in the studio.  The photo with the two folks with me is of the first-prize winner, Rachel Banks of Detroit School of the Arts and her father, Robert Banks.  There is also a pic of just me and Rachel.



































Some of the folks in the group photo are Rachel (seated at my left with her father Robert, her principal Ahna Felix-Brown, and her teacher John Wood--on the end--all standing behind her), one of the third-prize winners Cassandra Coleman of Finney (East English Village) seated at my right, runner-up LeQuin Robinson of Cody Academy of Public Leadership (the tall youngster standing behind me, who is also a linebacker on the Cody football team), LeQuin's and Rachel's teacher Sherina Rodrigues-Sharpe (travels between schools), standing behind me at my immediate left, and Jacqueline Jones-Frederick (Cassandra's teacher), standing behind me on my right, plus other parents, relatives, and friends.








4 comments: