Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

My fundraising party

In case you missed my fundraising party...




MESSAGE TO ALL MY FRIENDS: 
 



My deepest thanks to the many supporters of my grass-roots Mayoral campaign who turned out for my fund-raising party on May 25 - and to the members of my committee who made the affair so successful.  Thanks to you, we have a good start-up kitty for lawn signs, cards, radio spots, etc.  For the information of those of you who couldn't make it (and for those of you who did), our next (and final) Telford-for-Mayor Fund-Raising Party prior to the August 6 primary will take place again in the Rumors on the River Restaurant in the River House at 8900 E. Jefferson, just east of the Belle Isle Bridge, on THURSDAY, JUNE 27, between five and eight o'clock p.m.. Tickets are again $20, and are again available at the door.  You can also make out checks to Committee to Elect John Telford and mail them to me at 8900 E. Jefferson, Ste. 1107, Detroit MI 48214. Please spread the word to folks in your circle of influence who care about Detroit and about our city's public schools and schoolchildren, and let me know via email or by calling me at 313-460-8272 if you would like to volunteer in my Mayoral campaign.   .

While I've been speaking in churches and invading the barber shops, and I spoke at a cage fight on E. Jefferson last Saturday night (one of my former Finney kids won), you may have noted that I've been notably absent in the early Mayoral debates.  A few key phone calls have now rectified that, and I will be debating at the Charles A. Wright Museum of African-American History between 8:00 and 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 30.  (That debate will be televised.)   Some earlier debate sites where I'll also be participating include the New Center Park on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and West Grand Boulevard  on Friday, June 7 at 5:30; the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament at 9844 Woodward Avenue between E. Boston Blvd and Trowbridge at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 20; and the Dexter-Elmhurst Community Center at 11825 Dexter between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25   I may also be debating tonight at the Galilee Baptist Church at 5251 E. Outer Drive at Lappin (just east of Van Dyke) at 6:00 p.m.  I wasn't invited, but we have conversed with church officials and hope that in fairness as a duly certified candidate I may be permitted to debate.  If not, we will be seated at strategic points in the audience to pose questions to participating candidates and offer answers of our own.

Also, for those of you who are interested in old-time Detroit athletics, as a former All-American quarter-miler (WSU, 1957),  I'll be making a brief presentation to another All-American quarter-miler (Deon Hogan of old Kettering High and Kansas State, 1983) at the Detroit Track Old-Timers' 22nd Annual Awards Dinner at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul on Woodward at Warren on Friday, June 21 at six o'clock.  Tickets are $22 and are available at the door.      

P.S. - An update on my federal lawsuit to retain my Detroit Public Schools Superintendency: Federal Judge Sheeh has set a court date of July 25 at 9:00 a.m.to examine the possibility of tying my case into the broader federal suit to overturn Public Act 436, the disenfranchising replacement law for PA 4, the emergency manager law.  When I become Mayor (and if we can get the word out to enough grass-roots voters, my mayoralty is a distinct possibility), I will still exert sufficient influence to be involved in the selection of my suitable successor as DPS Superintendent - one who will cooperate with the current good elected board to release the EM from his job on February 8, 2014 and regain power for the elected board.   

No comments:

Post a Comment